PHILLIPS Programs is able to accept donations in the form of stocks, bonds, or mutual funds. Download the instructions sheet. This includes important information to help you make your gift quickly and efficiently.
The benefits of donating securities:
A gift of appreciated securities held for more than one year may provide significant benefits to you as a contributor, such as:
- Entitling you to a charitable income tax deduction for the fair market value of the gifted securities as of the date of gift.
- Eliminating capital gains tax that would ordinarily become due if you had sold the appreciated securities on the open market and donated the proceeds from the sale to charity.
- Claiming your charitable deduction against up to 30% of your adjusted gross income. Any unused deductions can be carried forward over the next five years.
- Providing a way to help you to achieve your long-term financial objective of reducing your income and estate taxes.
If you have securities that have declined in value over the years and are interested in donating them to charity, you may find it more advantageous to sell the securities first and contribute the proceeds to charity as opposed to donating the securities outright. This strategy should allow you to claim a deduction for both the loss from the sale of the securities as well as the charitable gift.
How to donate securities:
- Please notify PHILLIPS Programs by telephone or mail that you will be making a gift. Because your name will not accompany the electronic transfer of shares it is important that you notify our staff of your intent so we can acknowledge your gift correctly.
- Contact Debi Alexander, PHILLIPS Programs for Children and Families, 7010 Braddock Rd, Annandale, VA 22003 Phone: (703) 941-8810 Fax: (703) 658-2378 Debi.Alexander@phillipsprograms.org
- After you have alerted us to expect your gift, please instruct your broker to make the transfer to our broker. Please contact Julie Lien for the necessary information – Phone: (703) 941-8810, Fax: (703) 658-2378 or Email: Julie.Lien@phillipsprograms.org.
- Please include as much identifying information for the donor as possible so that we may expedite your acknowledgement. Submit the form below to Debi Alexander at PHILLIPS Programs.